Friday 25 November 2011

Ashes Review Ilsa J Bick

Ashes
Ilsa J Bick
Quercus

Synopsis

"No, she thought. No, please, God, I'm not seeing this

Seventeen-year-old Alex is hiking through the wilderness when it happens: an earth-shattering electromagnetic pulse that destroys almost everything.

Survivors are divided between those who have developed a superhuman sense and those who have acquired a taste for human flesh. These flesh-hunters stalk the land: hungry, ruthless and increasingly clever...

Alex meets Tom, a young army veteran, and Ellie, a lost girl. They will fight together and be torn apart, but Alex must face the most difficult question of all:
In such a vastly changed world, who can you trust?

A story of high-wire tension, gut-wrenching twist, and burgeoning love, Ashes will leave you breathless.
" Goodreads



Review

I wasn't sure about Ashes at first as it isn't something that I'd usually go for. That being said I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to any one. Especially fans of the zoooombie.

The characters have depth and an intricate back story which is important, as I find this lacking in a lot of YA books that i've read recently. People react in certain ways because they have evolved to do this, not just for the sake of an obvious plot device. This was not a problem with Ashes. Although I did find the -we just all happened to be hiking at the same time thing- a little predictable. 

Alex the protagonist can be quite stubborn and yet she is very caring, even when I found myself wondering if it was in her situation would I not just run off. Tom is also brooding and very sweet, so if you like that kind of thing then he'll be just the love interest for you. I'm still not sure whose team I am to be honest. There are still two more books to go. 

The prose is well written and engaging. It was not overly descriptive, although I wouldn't have minded more in certain parts of the book. I do enjoy some gruesome details if you're trying to set a scene of horror. Ashes reminded me when reading it of a few of my favourite books. Sabriel, Plague 99 and Hands of Forrest and Teeth but it also was very original. 

This is the first in the series and I don't want to go in to too much detail in case I ruin it. So I will leave you with this. If you like zombies, gore, adventure and a gripping love story this is the book for you.

I give Ashes four out of five bags of milky way magic stars.






11 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this book also. I was so thrown by the ending. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard mixed reviews on this book - saying that the firs half is brilliant, but the second not so much! Will deff give it a go though as I'm really getting into zombie books.

    Awesome review. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the ending was a little out there, really liked it though as was quite different.

    Also wow just noticed how many typos were in my review.

    Yeah you should give it a go. The second half was the best bit for me. Really plunged myself into the story. Happy readings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book. The ending was . . whoa. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Saw your review retweeted by Ilsa J Bick and had to come see what you thought of the book, having recently finished reading. I have to agree with Renu above, I really enjoyed the first half but the second half wasn't as interesting to me. But I still really enjoyed this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know she was really sweet retweeting me. I think the book definitely splits people but that's a good thing sometimes.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I haven't heard of this author before.

    Hi I'm your newest follower. It has been a while since I have done this.

    I am thankful for the bloggers, the authors who have asked for reviews and introduced me to new genres and also the fabulous bloggers who are always quick to offer help and always take time out to say hi or comment on reviews and posts.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe Plague 99 is one of your fave books, although thinking about it, it was pretty good. Great review, I may have to nab this off you

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Cait: In this specific genre obviously. Yeah though i loved Plague 99, even went and bought some other books by the same author but they weren't as good. The only decent book Proctor let us read. Remember that goggle eyes. Cringe.

    You can do of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've also read mixed reviews on this book, yet lot of people have been encouraging me to read it... well with 4/5 millkyway bags, you may have me convinced lol :)

    *New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I definitely need to get this book! Great review

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...