Friday 1 July 2011

Dead Beautiful

Dead Beautiful
Yvonne Woon
"At Gottfried Academy, just one kiss will take your breath away. After Renee discovers her parents dead in what appears to be a strange double murder, she is sent to Gottfried Academy, a remote and mysterious high school dedicated to philosophy, 'crude sciences', and Latin: the Language of the Dead. 

Here she meets Dante, a dark and elusive student who harbors a deadly secret, but to whom she feels inexplicably drawn. Despite himself, Dante cannot control his attraction to Renee either and their desires gradually deepen into a complex and dangerous romance. But Dante's not the only one with secrets...Gottfried Academy has a few of its own. 

When Renee begins to investigate the mysterious disappearance of a former student, she begins to realize just how deadly these secrets are...Dark romance meets haunting murder mystery in this captivating tale of love, death and destiny."

Amy's Adumbrations

Dead Beautiful is a mixed bag. I enjoyed it. In addition to this the philosophy was a nice change...but it doesn't really make sense in the grand scheme of the plot. However, it's definitely original.

I love Dante. He makes the book for me. Some of his dialogue made laugh out loud, and I found some of the characters really interesting. In addition to this I love the spin on the paranormal. I assumed wrongly that they would be run of the mill vamps. I was wrong.
I read it a week ago, and have left it until now to review it as I was unsure how much I actually enjoyed it, and how much was due to boredom (i am job hunting so everything is more enjoyable). It's definitely worth a read so would highly recommend it.

I give this book four bags of Milky Way Magic Stars

4 comments:

  1. I agree, this was definitely an original read. I loved Dante too. I read this book preblog... so I don't remember much about it. But I remember liking it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmm sounds interesting. I might have to have a look at this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the books I have at home ready to be read so, good to know it's original and Dante sounds like an interesting character!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like the book has a promising premise. I've read a few too many YA paranormals lately so I think I'll probably pass given your mixed feelings about the book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...