Monday 23 May 2011

The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test - Aimee Carter
 Published April 19th 2011 
 Harlequin 

Synopsis 

"It's always been just Kate and her mom—and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld—and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy—until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds, she'll become Henry's future bride, and a goddess. " 

I was lucky enough to receive this book for my birthday, and like with all new books I climbed into bed with the intention of reading a few chapters. However, those few chapters turned into sunrise and me forcing myself to put the book down. Always a a good indicator of whether a book is good. 

Spoilers ahead

I found the beginning of the book to be a little disconcerting at first, as I don't like to think about how horrific the death of a parent can be during some light reading. However, it was written in a way that showed the love Kate had for her mother and there were some touching moments, which made me skim over this gloomy and somewhat cliche start. 

The mythology aspect definitely sold this book to me, and if you're interested then this is the book for you. Carter has brought new life to the story of Hades and Persephone. A criticism that did arise though for me was the way in which Kate fell in love, it was a little too quick for my tastes. Not quite instant attraction, but there was the question of why does Kate care so much about her would be captor. Also, it made me wonder if she would care as much if Henry was not going to dissappear.

I was also a little torn at the end between my love of James and Henry, I am hoping for an Anita Blake type menage trois now because I adore them both. I couldn't choose. Another major selling point of this book is that although there is romance it doesn't overshadow everything else.

The twist at the end of this novel I didn't see coming, and I like to consider myself a pretty good detective. I kept turning the last page over hoping another chapter would appear when i finished this. Goddess Interrupted is the sequel and I am hoping it will be out -really- soon. Although according to goodreads is set for Feburary, which seems an awufully long time right now. 

I give this four bags of Milky Way Magic Stars




4 comments:

  1. Great review. The love thing definitely needed to be handled carefully to make sure it didn't appear to be stockholm syndrome! Love the lil magic star bags <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are are pretty cute, cheers for the idea. And yeah it was just one of those niggly things that pop into your head while reading. I did enjoy it big time so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this book through NetGalley, so it's next up on my reading list. A lot of people seemed to enjoy it, but it has gotten mixed reviews. Given my feelings toward Classical mythology & literature, I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

    I agree with Cait, the Magic Star bags are adorable! Oh, and I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you. Glad you like them.

    It really is good so i'm sure you'll enjoy it. It's definitely worth four bags.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...