Sunday 29 May 2011

Ultraviolet

 


Ultraviolet 
R J Anderson


Synopsis

"Once upon a time there was a girl who was special. This is not her story. Unless you count the part where I killed her.'

Sixteen-year-old Alison wakes up in a mental institution. As she pieces her memory back together, she realizes she’s confessed to murdering Tori Beaugrand, the most perfect girl at school. But the case is a mystery. Tori's body has not been found, and Alison can't explain what happened. One minute she was fighting with Tori. The next moment Tori disintegrated—into nothing."


I came across this book a few weeks ago and it really intrigued me. I was lucky enough to receive it for review. From the first page I was thrown in, which is why I had to finish this in one sitting.

Amy's Adumbrations


Cons:

I couldn't find anything to criticise in all honesty, because I really enjoyed this book. The only thing I could say is it left me wanting more in terms of Alison and Faraday. 

Pros:


There are plenty of pros in favour of this book. Although the pace is not necessarily quick it does set its own, which works well with the story. The characters are all interesting and engaging, and not just because many of them are mentally unwell. My favourite character was Kirk, and I continued to enjoy the light he brought to the book, even when he was dark. I found Kirk to be a constant bit of comic relief, which was useful. 



The most significant aspect I enjoyed was Alison's gift. I don't want to spoil this, as I was actually surprised by it. I expected telekinesis or the usual brands of superpowers, but Alison is far more interesting than that.



Furthermore, I loved the reason for Alison's attraction to Faraday. It was not because he was 'hot' or anything as mundane, but because he tasted like chocolate. There is a girl after my own heart. 



I experienced a full range of emotions while reading this book, which is sign of a great book. I was able to connect emotionally with the main protagonis, but also many of the other characters. Even by the end of the novel I respected and liked Tori. 


Therefore, I would recommend this book to anybody who is interested in reading something a little different. The story is beautiful, and full of pretty descriptions which would be out of place in any other area. 


I give this story five bags of Milkyway Magic Stars

 Amy









14 comments:

  1. I loved this book too! It was so so good!! I had the galley for it and I think I loved it so much that I may have to go out and buy a physical copy!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it too! I got it as galley too, good times. Going to have to get a copy for my shelf as vwell. :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, when I come to yours can I read it on your laptop? Oh and love your blog and you reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll think about it. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Millie is just so cute. I d/lded this onto my kindle t'other day after I heard it gets released on the 2nd and I thought I had till Sept to read it...good review, I'm really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hehe i know. She's a munchkinn. I need to start proof reading these reviews, ah well. Read it, i think you'll love this as much as me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review, I'm super excited about this one I have five books to read before I can get to my copy :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, it's really good, i hope you like it as much as me. Enjoy the reading in the mean time.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Amy! Thanks for visiting my blog and following! I'm following you back now!

    I have just read this review, and the book certainly sounds intriguing. You haven't given too mamy spoilers, so there's still quite a bit of mystery left. It's going on my already humongous TBR pile!! Lol.

    Thanks for sharing, and have a great week! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Maria!

    The book really is intriguing, i found it different and genuinely very different. I really enjoyed so hopefully you will too.

    Have a nice week yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, Thanks for stopping by my blog and following, I'm following back.
    I couldn't finish this book, the story seemed to go nowhere for so long I couldn't read it anymore. You're right aboiut the descriptions though, they're very unique. Thats what kept me reading as long as i did.
    I love that you rate your books with chocolate =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tristnan, thanks so much for following back and commenting.

    I can see why people wouldn't like this, it's quite slow. I just liked the idea behind it.

    And chocolate is the currency of love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome review. I'm planning on reading it, even got the galley and all that. Can't wait now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you enjoy it! And thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...