Sunday 22 May 2011

The Princess Bride


The Princess Bride (1987) is a twist on a classical fairy tale, with age old pirates, villains and slapstick humour. The movie begins with a grandfather (Columbo) reading a book to his grandson.

The story introduces Westley a young dashing farm boy, and Buttercup his love. Westley goes forth at the beginning of the movie to find his fortune, as to allow him to marry Buttercup. However, as fate has it he does not return from the trip, and is assumed dead. Prince Humperdinck decides to wed the beautiful Princess Buttercup. 

The film really starts when three men decide to kidnap Buttercup whilst she is out on a ride. First of the three men is Vizzini, the leader of the group. He is intent on murdering Buttercup. His two minions are Andre the Giant and a young Gideon from Criminal Minds (whose only desire is to avenge his father’s murder). Hot on the tail of the three kidnappers is a mysterious pirate.

As the movie unfolds Humperdinck’s plans are revealed, and a friendship emerges between the would be kidnappers. 

There are so many moments in this movie that made me giggle that I insist that everyone should watch it. Although the plot isn’t terribly original, there are many aspects of the film that are. In addition to this it is in some ways a product of The NeverEnding Story era, which as a movie has always had a place in my favourites. I found The Princess Bride to be witty, entertaining and ultimately sweet. 

Out of five Milky Way Magic Stars i would give it four and a half bags. 

10 comments:

  1. I've never seen this =/ I love your rating system tho, it's so cute. You should get lil magic star pictures to illustrate it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds a bit technical right now ;]. You should watch it...Gideon in leather pants with a Spanish accent, sword fighting. It's really good, watched it last night so all obsessed today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does have it's moments, sure the moments are surrounded by hours of bilge but the moments are good

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does have its moments definitely

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there!
    This is one of my top ten movies of all time :) I've watched it a ton of times, but I still love everything about it. I love it when Inigo finds the six-fingered man and keeps saying that awesome "Hello. My name is..." line over and over. That's good writing right there!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog, and I love your background.
    Ninja Girl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, aww yeah it's an awesome scene. "My name is Inigo Montoya. Prepare to die. My name is Inigo Montoya. Prepare to die." Probably one of my favourite bits.

    And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've watched it so many times that I lost count, lol It's one of the movies I loved the most!

    Thanks for stopping by on my blog, I'm now following you as well! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of your top ten movies? Are you really that culturally deprived?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this movie, it's a family favorite. I had the pleasure of reading the book last year, it's almost identical with added bits of awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely have to get the book. It's definitely something i'll make my kids watch when i'm older.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...