Monday 13 June 2011

Blood Red Road Review

Blood Red Road
Moira Young
Published June 2011

Synopsis

"Saba has spent her whole life in Silverlake, a dried-up wasteland ravaged by constant sandstorms. The Wrecker civilization has long been destroyed, leaving only landfills for Saba and her family to scavenge from. That's fine by her, as long as her beloved twin brother Lugh is around. But when a monster sandstorm arrives, along with four cloaked horsemen, Saba's world is shattered. Lugh is captured, and Saba embarks on an epic quest to get him back. 

Suddenly thrown into the lawless, ugly reality of the world outside of desolate Silverlake, Saba is lost without Lugh to guide her. So perhaps the most surprising thing of all is what Saba learns about herself: she's a fierce fighter, an unbeatable survivor, and a cunning opponent. And she has the power to take down a corrupt society from the inside. Teamed up with a handsome daredevil named Jack and a gang of girl revolutionaries called the Free Hawks, Saba stages a showdown that will change the course of her own civilization." Goodreads  

Amy's adumbrations:

I read this as part of the 30books3odays challenge. Blood Red Road is a captivating read with many ups and downs. I consider it to be Gladiator meets YA. The characters are well developed and you feel for them. At the start I didn't particularly like Saba, as I considered her to be very selfish and verging on annoying. However, once the story got going I started to understand her more and why she acted the way she did. 
What I really enjoyed about this book was that it was something new, and exciting. You get pulled along on this journey of epic proportions. Kidnappings, angels of death, creatures from your nightmares and ultimately love. It has everything you could ask for.

The only real qualm I had was that everything turned out a little too perfect for Saba, as it was very unrealistic. It made certain parts very predictable.

I give Blood Red Road four Milky Way Magic Stars

Amy


6 comments:

  1. Great review! I haven't read this book yet but it's been getting a lot of positive hype.
    As These Pages Fly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should give it a whirl, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I can't wait to read it!

    New follower.

    http://talesoftheinnerbookfanatic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good review! I never got to read this on the galleygrab and I don't think I'd like it enough to buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's pretty good, reminded me of Sabriel in parts. Without the magics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review:) It's on my wishlist now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...