Friday 24 June 2011

Starcrossed Review

Starcrossed
Josephine Angelini
Published by Macmillan 2011

Synopsis


"How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history. 

As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart." Goodreads


I had read a few bad reviews but decided to invest in this anyway. All I can say is wow. I loved every single one of the 514 pages. Demigods, and Lucas and superpowers. It's just a really good read. One of the best of 2011. The mythology wasn't butchered like it has been done in so many novels, the characters were interesting and the story although long wasn't too slow paced. 

The only disappointment was when Helen and Lucas kiss. I mean you wait for it for so long it's a little anti climatic. Hopefully there will be a better one in the sequel.  I'm really impatient, I don't think I'll be able to wait until May for Dreamless.

I give Starcrossed five whole milky way magic stars


9 comments:

  1. Hey Amy,
    I'm SO happy you liked it! And I can see your impatience, I can't wait for next spring as well... I did my review about this book a few weeks ago and then I had the pleasure of interviewing the author! If you're interested you can find my interview here: http://darkestsins.blogspot.com/2011/06/interview-with-josephine-angelini.html

    xo
    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really really jealous. I know MAY is so far away. This is my favourite book this year I think. Up to now at least.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree! She's one of the best new YA authors I discovered this year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that this book is one that can go either way. i mean, I enjoyed it but because I'm a very honest and literal reviewer i will weigh up any flaws no matter how small they are so this didn't get a really high rating from me,

    Here's my review, if you're interested; http://inkscratchers.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-starcrossed-by-hosephine.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I could have listed loads of flaws, but i genuinely enjoyed the book so ommited them.

    Thanks for stopping by, i will check your review out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks for stopping by our blog and leaving a comment!
    I have never heard about this novel before, but it sounds like soemthing I would enjoy!

    Happy Blogging,
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think most of the bad reviews are basically saying it's Twilight, but I'm with you. Even if it does resemble Twilight it's freaking amazing!

    I like this cover btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Im getting this one from a friend and I cant wait for it. I have heard it compared to Twilight so much that I was put off as I hated twilight but I have it on a good source that this one is way better than twilight! Im glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! Short and to the point:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...