Tuesday 21 June 2011

The Body Finder Review

The Body Finder
Kimberly Derting

Synopsis

"Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers.

Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find the dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him."
Description Goodreads


Amy's Adumbrations

The Body Finder is a difficult one to review.  A lot of people really seem to enjoy this book, and I can see why. The storyline is interesting, and it's original (kind of). The problem that I had with it was that I found parts of it to be executed badly, in that I don't think Derting fully achieved its potential.

Although there are numerous murders, and somewhat gory descriptions. I personally found that I didn't care enough. I also found that the romance overtook the rest of the storyline. It would have benefitted from more focus on the murders, and less on Jay. There was -no- angst really, or even all that much of an intense relationship. All in all the romance was quite bland.

I did like Chelsea though, who was Vi's bestfriend and she added a little spark to the book. There were some really good parts, and i did enjoy the murders p.o.v as it's a rarity in books.The body finder is worth a read.


I give it three milky way magic stars 

6 comments:

  1. I think I'll avoid this one for now...

    ComaCalm's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it all that much.
    I thought it was a wonderful debut novel with an unique and intelligent plot - you are right that it could have been more suspenseful but this did not detract from my enjoyment. I feel the best part of the story was the characterization, especially the relationship between Violet and Jay.
    It is so interesting how everyone has different perspectives on the same book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the romance was pretty typical, and Jay was way too nice. But I really really liked this book. I loved the concept and found Derting's writing to be very suspenseful.
    As These Pages Fly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I havent picked this one up yet... I'm not sure why but something puts me off, even without reading many reviews for it and yours has kinda put me off more lol.. I may read it eventually but for now I'm good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a pity that the balance between romance and suspense was too one-sided. I agree with Raimy - I may pick this one up eventually, but I'm in no desperate hurry.

    Shelagh
    The Word Fiend

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I first saw this book, I felt I had to read it as soon as possible, but I have seen a few reviews as of late that have me less enthusiastic to buy it. I will definitely read it sometime as I do like the sound of the story, but I am not going to rush or anything.

    Thanks for the honest review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...