Friday 17 June 2011

low red moon Review

Low Red Moon
Ivy Devlin
Bloomsbury publishing

Snyposis

"The only thing Avery Hood can remember about the night her parents died is that she saw silver—deadly silver, moving inhumanly fast. As much as she wants to remember who killed them, she can't, and there's nothing left to do but try to piece her life back together. Then Avery meets the new boy in school—Ben, mysterious and beautiful, with whom she feels a connection like nothing she's ever experienced." Goodreads


Amy's Adumbrations 

Low red moon I began reading with some trepidation. I have read so many books that start with the murder of the main characters parent/parents, that I start to feel detached from the story. However this was not the case with low red moon. Avery is a genuinely sweet character, and her loss resonates throughout the book.

I really enjoy a 'whodonit' and the way in which this story slowly unfolds is perfect. I usually guess who the murder is from the get go, but I couldn't make up my mind with low red moon. It wasn't until the end when it dawned on me, which is a nice change.


Now onto the love interest...Ben. I liked the idea of Ben but he came across a little bit weak. In addition to this the continous mention of his shoes was verging on ridiculous. In addition he never actually changes into a wolf in front of Avery...so it's a little lacklustre in that area if you're a big wolf fan.

Another thing that I did find somewhat irritating was the obsession with the red streak in Avery's hair. Although it was vaguely relevant to the plot I feel it didn't really add anything, and the book would maybe have benefited from its admission. 

There aren't many negative things to be said about low red moon. It's gripping and utterly consuming until the end.

I am swayed by a pretty cover, and low red moon definitely delivers on that. The picture doesn't do it justice, nor does it show that this prettiness isn't soley for the cover. The pages are decorated and I admit I really loved it. The book definitely lives up to the cover of course.

I give this book four/five milky way magic stars. I would highly recommend it.


Amy 

8 comments:

  1. good review, I'm looking forward to reading this now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll return it soon, it's really good. Liked it more than Haunting Violet and i -really- loved that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is gorgeous! Thanks for putting it on my TBR list.

    Jez

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this one but it sounds interesting. I am glad you said that even though the parents are killed off at the beginning it still held your interest. Adding it to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, this ones been on my wishlist for a while. I really need to get round to buying it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He he he. I forgot to mention the foot-fetish in my review! What did you think of the way the word "moon" was low-set and red, every time it was printed?

    My thoughts are here: http://scatteredfigments.blogspot.com/2011/06/review-and-giveaway-low-red-moon-by-ivy.html

    Shall be a new follower when GFC bucks up and lets me click the follow button!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah it was a little odd was the footfetish heh. Also the redmoon was pretty but strange, didn't work so well.

    And aww cheers. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I love reading them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...